Tuesday, October 27, 2009

GILROY FUN!

Are any of you familiar with the "garlic capital of the world?"

Gilroy, California is KNOWN for it's production of garlic. They even have an annual Garlic Festival that was once televised on the Food Network a few years back.

Well, nestled in that little town (which is about 45 minutes from us) is also a family theme park geared toward kids 13 and under. It's called Gilroy Gardens.

I was blessed to have won tickets from my friend who was giving away five of them on Facebook! A couple of days later, her sister was unable to go, so she mailed me her three tickets! It was perfect because we didn't have to buy any extras, and we were able to invite Miranda's friend, Michele, with us. That is a savings of at least $300!!

We skipped church on Sunday morning because that was the only time we'd be able to go, and to make the most of our time. The girls had to be back at church by four for choir practice, and we didn't want to feel rushed to leave.

But, just like I've stated before, there has to be some type of drama when we go out.

It's inevitable.

As soon as we entered the park, Danny was covering his mouth with his hands and was gagging.

OH NOOO!!!!

We knew what was coming. Or should I say, "Going!"

Yup...talk about vomit all over his arms and face. It probably would have been all over his shirt if he still didn't have his face covered with his hands. As soon as we got him cleaned up, we were ready to have some fun!

No, he wasn't sick, he was nauseated from sitting in the back of the Suburban while stuffing his face with McDonald's right before we got there.

And yes, I came prepared. He already had a change of clothes in the car.

Mommy's smart like that (heehee).

Miranda, Michele, & Veronica waiting patiently while Danny is getting cleaned up.
Photobucket
Annoyed? That's how they look, huh? Still waiting for Dad to finish cleaning up Danny in the bathroom.
Photobucket
The first ride the girls' went on. Well, the "tweens" went on for Veronica's sake. Can you see her head on the far left?
Photobucket
Yah, let's pick up the pace! The girls are somewhere in the middle there.
Photobucket
My babies! Poor Danny, he was TOO TALL to get on the next ride. Veronica had to ride with some random girl around her age.
Photobucket
Yee Haw!!! Isaiah & Hubby
Photobucket
Some happy...some not. Hmm. Waiting in the heat for the hot air balloon ride.
Photobucket
And this is not a hoax. They really are in one!!
Photobucket
Doesn't Miranda look more than excited to be on this ride?
Photobucket
Beautiful landscaping. You could walk behind the greenery there and stand under the waterfall. I was going to walk through it but I didn't want to get my camera, purse, and hair wet.
Photobucket
Isn't that pretty?
Photobucket
This was a major greenhouse with butterflies inside. I'm glad one didn't land on me or I would have screamed!
Photobucket
Me & Daniel waiting for everyone to get off the roller coaster. He didn't want to ride on it.
Photobucket
Gotta have the cotton candy!!
Photobucket
And finally, there was no way they were leaving without getting on the Garlic Twirl!
Photobucket

We left after the kids got off this ride, and when we were about 10 minutes away, Miranda realized she didn't have her cell phone on her. We drove back to the park and they asked Lost & Found if anyone turned in her phone.

Wasn't there.

I called T-Mobile and put a suspension on her phone so nobody could use it. If it doesn't turn up in their L&F by tomorrow, I'll have to order her a new one. Thank goodness we got insurance for it. Our kids are VERY responsible with their cells, so she didn't get in trouble for losing it there. Inconvenient, yes, but just another lesson learned to be more careful.

But, all in all..it was a fun afternoon (even with the drama).

37 comments:

Denise said...

Looks fun, glad your family enjoyed their day.

Jennifer said...

Aaaah! My hubs and I always talk about going to the garlic festival, I want to try that garlic ice cream! Mmmm! ;-) If we were still in CA, we'd so be there. I can't even believe that I've never been once! You all (well, MOST of you, at least! LOL!) looked like you had a fun time!

Sarah A. Galang, Ph.D. said...

Great family fun and cutie kids. I guess, you all have fun.

Sarah A. Galang, Ph.D. said...

Great family fun and cutie kids. I guess, you all have fun.

Buckeroomama said...

I've heard about Gilroy Gardens from my friend who has moved back to SF. Will definitely have to go there the next time we visit... but by the time that happens, the kids might be too old for the rides already!

Susie said...

Bummer on the cell phone and the vomit:-( Otherwise, it sounded like a good day:-)

Becky said...

It's the "drama" that makes family outings so memorable! What a fun day. And thanks for bringing back fun memories. I don't remember Gilroy Gardens (did it even exist 30 years ago?) but I do remember knowing when we drove through Gilroy even if I was asleep (on the way home from visiting grandparents) because of the permeating garlic smell!

Stacy said...

Girl, I know all about drama too...lol!!!


That place does look like lots of fun. Plus you won free tickets!!!

Laurencita said...

Your family had enjoyed inspite of the drama.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great time! Awesome you got all those tickets..what a great deal!

I can't see the pics for some reason...have no idea what's going on.

Robyn said...

Looks and sounds like a great day other than the vomit and cell phone loss!

Darcie said...

That looked like a fun day!

Sorry that your little guy got sick...completely understand..I use to get carsick all the time.

Lorrie said...

Did you guy have any Garlic tea? Garlic pie? I LOVE Gilroy...haven't been in a while. Hope you little one feels better.

Bina said...

Sounds like you had a fun time, aside from the obvious moment. :) Thank you for sharing...great pics. You have a beautiful family, Alicia! :)

Nina said...

The drama always cracks me up, only because I totally understand.

Looks like everyone had a really great time. I love doing stuff like that with the kids. It creates such great memories.

Hope the phone turns up!

Unknown said...

looks like you guys had a wonderful time, excluding the vomit and the cell phone being lost. Nothing better than family time together!Love the pictures:) Happy Tuesday:)

He & Me + 3 said...

That sounds like such a fun place. The pictures were very cute. Hope the cell turns up.

Kelli W said...

That looks like an awesome place! The Garlic Twirl is hilarious! I'm glad you were a prepare momma and had a change of clothes for Danny!

jen@odbt said...

What a fun day - did the air smell of garlic too? Good thing the hot air balloons didn't take off with the kids like balloon boy.

Jennifer Bowen said...

My kids would have loved the hot air balloon ride, too! I don't know if they'd be too keen on going to something called "Garlic Gardens," but I'm sure they'd enjoy it once they see what fun stuff they have in store.

I hope your son is feeling much better. You all look like you had a blast. Great photos! Thanks for letting us take a peek at your adventure. =)

amanda said...

garlic festival?! sounds yummy. i love the garlic 'twirl'. so was the phone found? that stinks. but thank goodness for insurance. my hubby loses his ALL THE TIME! if we didn't have insurance we'd be broke buying new phones all the time. :0)

Pilar said...

So much fun!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh how fun! Looks like you guys had a great day. And I'm not sure how you get 5 kids out the door without drama. Maybe that's why I only have one ;)

Love the garlic twirl...too funny!

Kimberly said...

That looks like a marvelous day! (And hey, what familiy outing isn't an event with a little puking?) LOL!

~*Michelle*~ said...

That looks like a blast! Gorgeous photos too.....
......can I tell you that I busted out a laugh when you said you would scream if a butterfly landed on you?

too funny!
xox
*~Michelle~*

GottaLoveMom said...

Alicia,

I miss visiting here on regular basis - but every time I get a chance, your family always make me smile.

What a gorgeous and happy family. Hope to meet you oneday.

Thank goodness for the insurance!

Have a great week,
Jenjen
PS - Will Smith is in "Seven Pounds"

Liz Mays said...

So glad you got the free passes! It would be hard to make an outing like that with a large family!

Tiffany said...

A garlic festival?! I LOVE garlic! Hee hee. I stumbled on your blog, and I LVOE it! Your photos are just great, and your family is gorgeous.
There is always drama, huh? It pays to be a prepared Mama, though! {wink}

Angela said...

what a fun day. i had garlic ice cream once....

Muthering Heights said...

Poor Danny!!!

I'm glad you all still had fun though!

louann said...

Absolute fun family time! And drama does make things even more fun - in a sense =)

Kathy C. said...

It looks like you guys had a great family fun day! I love garlic,...you're lucky to have the "garlic capital" so close...I bet you can get lot's of really fresh garlic at your farmers markets, eh? :)

Kekibird said...

Yep! I know Gilroy! I used to live in San Francisco and would take the 101 down and then cut across to the 5 via Pacheco Pass when I would drive home. Always knew we were in Gilroy when you could smell the garlic. Yum!

Laura said...

Aww, I would love to go to Gilroy. I love garlic. I put it in everything! I am always having to buy the jars of it since I use it too often! LOL.

Yay for you for getting out of cleaning up Danny's mess! ;) hehe

Michelle said...

I have been to Gilroy a few times, but never to this cute little amusement park. The garlic ride is too funny.

Too bad your daughter lost her phone. Good thing you have insurance.

Sawatzky family said...

Great pictures...love the butterfly comment I give you amazing props for going in because I can say in all seriousness that I would not have been so brave, butterfly's fall into my bug category and I just DO NOT DO bugs lol ;b

Mamí♥Picture said...

What a fun Day!
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ