Monday, June 1, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY

I am linking up with my friend, Mom's The Word to participate in her Monday meme, "Making Your Home Sing Monday." It's a day when we share what we are doing to bless our families in our home. If you would like to join in, click here.

I really love doing this meme because it helps me to keep everything into perspective!

When my husband and kids (minus Daniel) went camping last week, I soooo enjoyed the quiet time I had at home. Even though I still had Daniel with me, just having one child 24/7 as opposed to five is a huge difference!!! Can you imagine how the dynamics change from seven people in the house to only two? I got to enjoy his company for three straight days! Did I mention how quiet it was..lol? It was actually so refreshing! We didn't do much since he still was a tiny bit sick, but it was nice to just relax at home with him! It was just a really sweet time between him & I!!

With that said, I think it's so important to have those one on one times with your children...even if you just have one child! It's been awhile since I've had one on one time with my kids, and I want to start planning those "dates" again! And not just mommy and me, but also for daddy too! Then when it's time for mommy & daddy time, I call grandma to come over!

Normally, I would surprise them the day of, but I think I will start marking it on the calender so this way they can see for themselves when their day is coming up. I think it will be exciting for them to see "12 more days" till it's my turn!!

It's such a blessing for them to have our undivided attention; to not have to compete with anyone else, and to just talk about whatever they want to! And it doesn't always have to be about buying them something either. Just having "you" for themselves is the highlight!! Of course, if it's me, then more than likely we'll go out to eat somewhere..heehee.

Now that summer is coming up and school is coming to an end, this is the perfect time to start this up again! This is another way I will continue to keep our home singing!!

31 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds great.

Beth in NC said...

I CANNOT imagine 5 children since I only have 1 little girl. I'm sure the noise level is a LOT different. :o)

I think it is a great idea for you to spend special time with each. That will be fun!

Love,
b

Sawatzky family said...

We have done special days every so often but not on a regular basis. Thinking back I do know how each of them soaked up our attention like a sponge one on one. This post wasa great reminder to start that again more often!
Thank you

Sawatzky family said...

We have done special days every so often but not on a regular basis. Thinking back I do know how each of them soaked up our attention like a sponge one on one. This post wasa great reminder to start that again more often!
Thank you

Sawatzky family said...

We have done special days every so often but not on a regular basis. Thinking back I do know how each of them soaked up our attention like a sponge one on one. This post wasa great reminder to start that again more often!
Thank you

Sawatzky family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tiki_lady said...

love it love it, when we had 2 children we wanted them to know how to treat their dates, and they would have mommy daddy dinner dates. qualities she should look in a date mate and then spouse. How he should treat a lady,etc.
Then as they grew older we did fun activities with them, still good fun date activities. WE never told them this is what we were grooming them to do but it has worked.
We haven't done this with our younger two, mainly because they live on the baseball fields.

Shoebee said...

One on one time is always important. My mom has taken the girls to Florida for a month, so I'm here with just the boys. It is great, since the youngest still has school, so everyday it's just me and my oldest. It's great, we get several hours everyday to just do whatever. I'm enjoying it, since he's at that age (10yrs old) where mom is not cool.

Alicia W. said...

That is a really sweet post Alicia. Makes us all think of little things we can do as a family.

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

Lovely!

Casey's trio said...

I LOVE it when I get one one one time. I've never known any different than having 3, so it is absolutely amazing to me how easy it is with just 1-LOL!

Joyeful said...

I'm sure Daniel loved it just as much as you did!!! Just having one at a time is like being in a different world! I really love those one-on-one times too and I want to make sure that happens a lot more often!

Darcie said...

That is a wonderful idea Alicia! We all love the family unit, but kids do crave some one and one time with their parents.

Enjoy!!!

McCrakensx4 said...

What a great idea. I have never thought of doing it since I just have the 2, but I am really thinking that it might be a good thing! Happy Monday!

momstheword said...

Great idea! Gives the kids something to look forward to and builds on your relationship too!

My mom and I did that when I was 14 and I loved it!

momstheword said...

Forgot to add thank you for linking up today!!!!!

really.truly said...

One on one date time with your kids...love it.

Stacy said...

Yes the kids will love that and so will you:)

DarcyLee said...

Great post, Alicia! Our kids not only enjoy that one-on-one time but they (and we) need it too.

Pam said...

I do this with my two children sometimes and also plan just daddy time with each of them. It makes them feel so special!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Great post my friend! And you are so right. It is extremely important that we spend one on one time with our children, even those of us with an only. We can get so caught up in day to day that we forget to stop and enjoy them. Thank you for that great reminder!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great post! That is definitely special to have that one on one time with your children. I need to do this more. This week I have a lot more time with my son as my daughter is off at camp, so I'm going to make the most of it. :D

Unknown said...

Great reminder!

I have been trying to do this for a while now, but have not been consistant. I even planned a tickle fest for my youngest. it was so fun! He didn´t want it to end. LOL
But I think I need to find more time with each one individually.

So glad you got to spend such a great time with Daniel.

Oh and thank you so much for the encouraging words today! God is so good to give us just what we need when we need it!

God bless you!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

So true about spending one-on-one time with each kiddo...they seem to relish it. Since we only have two kids it's relatively easy because they both get one-on-one attention at the same time. My oldest calls these outings "mix-up days."

Eli's Lids said...

How special for you and Daniel! My hubby and I hope to start a rotating date night thing too. That is something they will remember forever :)

Muthering Heights said...

That's such a sweet idea!

My husband takes time out for each of our daughters on the date of their birthday each month. They don't necessarily understand that now, but will eventually know that the 2nd and the 10th are their special days! :)

Debbie said...

That is a great idea and a wonderful gift to give your whole family.

He & Me + 3 said...

Alicia

I think that is a great and fun idea. The kids will all love their alone time with you.

Always a Southern Girl said...

One on one time is important! and I know what you mean about the difference. Sometimes we will just have Niko and not his sisters. It's like a different world.

Daphine said...

Yep, my girls have always enjoyed their one on one time with me. We've never written anything on the calendar though. This sounds like a great idea and I think I will do the same thing! THANKS!

Unknown said...

My one and only have lots of one on one time : ). He gets tired of me being his only playmate so often : ). I remember when I was little I wanted to be an only child : ).